October 4, 2011

This Fish is Delish!



Eating healthy was never so easy and delicious at the same time. The last few days I have been sick with my first cold of the season. So with the lack of enthusiasm to cook but still in need of vitamins and nutrients from food, I have been making some good old fashioned soups. My little cold and the weather cooling down definitely called for some chicken soup which I made a couple of days ago (I'll share the many recipes I have at another time). But last night I was in the mood for fish and soup so I decided to make a fish soup for the first time.

I almost always have tilapia in the freezer but I think cod would work as well. Unfortunately I am not a cook who measures all the time ( I get that from my Mom), I tend to just use what I like but I think these measurements should work. Of course you can add a little or take a little of an ingredient, it's totally up to you.

Ingredients

3 pieces of tilapia (can use cod)
2 tbsp of olive oil
32 oz chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
32 oz water
1 tbsp Olive oil (again)
3 bulbs garlic - minced
1 small onion - chopped
2 carrots - chopped
2 celery stalks - chopped
1 cup bell peppers (red, green, yellow - the more the merry)
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp adobo con sazon ( how ever much you like- I love adobo)
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh dill
1 tbsp of butter (yes I said butter- real butter that is)
2 dashes cayenne pepper (if you're spicy like me)

Get a big pot and heat olive oil. Salt tilapia and lightly cook in pan on both sides (be careful, tilapia cooks fast). Add broth and water and a dash of salt and bring to a boil. In another pan, lightly saute vegetables in olive oil, just until it's a little soft, do not over cook. Add sauteed vegetables and adobo to the boiling water and cook on med-high heat for about 10 minutes. Then add the butter, cayenne pepper (optional), parsley and dill and simmer for another 10 minutes. Can serve immediately with croutons, toasted bread, or crackers. Enjoy!

Serves: 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment